In 1957 a group of far sighted people led by Margaret Layton called a meeting of about 30 people to create a dramatic club on the North Shore. These first members included Reg Livermore and Simon Chilvers. The club was called Pymble Players.
The first public production, a play called Flat to Let directed by Audrey Blaxland, opened in the Pymble Community Hall on 5th April 1957.Over the next 16 years more than 60 plays were performed including Deep Blue Sea, Hotel Paradiso, The Crucible, Five Finger Exercise and Ring Around the Moon.
Designer John Cervanka, who was the resident designer for the Old Tote Theatre, transformed the hall into an 84 seat, professionally equipped theatre. The gala opening production was Doctors of Philosophy directed by Mike Nash. Over 200 plays have been performed since then, among them, Harp in the South, The Madwoman of Chaillot, Deathtrap, On Golden Pond, Bert and Maisy and Money and Friends.
In 1980 Pantomime was introduced with The Worst Christmas Fairy Ever, specially written for us by well known children's author and PP member Joan Dalgleish. A Christmas children's show is now a well established PP tradition.